Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mermaids are real!

Well...kind of! (photo above courtesy of here)

Today we went to Weeki Wachee Springs/Buccaneer Bay. Only 10 minutes away but we rarely go. Today in Florida, it was FREE to get into every FL state park. Since Weeki Wachee Springs/Bucc. Bay became a state park in 2008, it was part of today's free deal- and it's usually $26! Wooo! DEAL!

What is Weeki Wachee Springs, you wonder? Only the home of the mermaids and the underwater theater! Plus it's the spot of a natural cold water spring, a guided boat ride on a river, and other fun stuff. The two pictures below are from flickr, since I didn't get to see the mermaid show today.
weeki wachee 26

weeki wachee 24

I would have missed out on today's "free day" if not for facebook! Some of my friends had posted this info on facebook this morning, just when we were wondering what to do today!

So we went, and as I imagined might be the case, the parking lot was overflowing with cars of others there to take advantage of the free day. After 20 minutes of frustration and almost leaving, we found a parking spot. But we missed the mermaid show we wanted to see before we went swimming at the water area. I have seen different mermaid shows there several times in the span of my life. When I was a little girl we lived about 30-40 minutes away instead of 10 minutes away. I thought the mermaid show was magical and I wanted to be a mermaid when I grew up. Now I live so close to it!

The swimming side, called Buccaneer Bay, has a few water slides, icy cold spring water to swim in at a beach, a kiddie wading pool area, and a lazy river. It was so hot today and the water felt so cold! It always stays cold all year long because it's a spring. It's so refreshing! But the first few minutes in the water, you are psyching yourself up for going all the way under because it's so so cold feeling. Once you get brave enough to submerge yourself fully, it's such a relief from the heat and you forget it's even hot outside.

Here are my pictures from today.

2 comments:

Creative Coquette said...

That looks like so much fun!

I'm so sad I've never seen a mermaid show and I really really would love to see one!

What an awesome place to live near!

jordiegirl said...

Looks like you had a great time.