Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Curtain Project

We had painted my son's room last winter, and during the process took green curtains(also made by me) off of his windows because they just looked drab with the light blue paint color. I posted a few pictures back on this post. We didn't put up new curtains because I liked the way the white simple blinds looked against the paint color. His windows are narrow and high up.

But then my son didn't like these little gaps that were in between the set of blinds - so we have old receiving blankets up, in the middle of each window, to block out the "scary" darkness he'd see in between the blinds at night. We thought about getting white curtains but of the curtains I looked at, the sizes weren't right.

So on Sunday, we visited the aquarium again(yay!) and then after that went to Ikea. They are only a couple miles apart(or less). We didn't realize the store closed at 6 p.m. on Sundays so at 5:42pm we were in the kids' toy section and I decided to walk over to the kids' bedding and textile section. I found some fabric pieces on sale for $5.99! They measure 47"x118", precut and prepackaged. I grabbed one with vehicles on it, so cute, and I thought it'd be perfect for Kavi's room.
We walked really fast towards the checkout because by the time I looked at the fabric and showed my husband, they said the store was closing in 5 minutes! And we were still on the top floor. If you've been through an Ikea, you will know what I mean when I say we still had to walk through the bottom level and the warehouse part to get to the checkouts! Far! We used the "shortcuts" even and were speed walking and still didn't get to the checkout before they announced that the store was closed. But they of course were still going to checkout all of us stragglers making our way to the registers, *whew*. By that time we were a little out of breath from rushing! Funny, all for one $5.99 item. But I didn't want to have to go back to Tampa just for that anytime soon.

Instead of procrastinating, I started working on the new curtains yesterday. There is just enough fabric to make four short panels for his two windows. I was in the groove with the project until I ran out of white thread! I haven't bought any thread in awhile. So today I need to go get some. Here's a progress picture and an up close look at the cute fabric. :)
My son adores vehicles! And I like that the background of the fabric is white.

4 comments:

considerthelillies said...

perfect for his room!

beka said...

aw, it's going to look great! :)

Lucy The Valiant said...

Love the fabric! And that is one very speedy IKEA trip - you may have set a record there!

Angela said...

Can't wait to see them up on the windows!! Such cute fabric!

ooh had to tell you - last night I dreamed about you and your Mom! I have been missing my blog and blog friends I guess. Anyway, I dreamed that we all met and went to a yard sale together - LOL!